Health Conscious Peeps

Friday, February 10, 2012

Busy Days

These past few days have been crazy busy with kid activities. I know, they're teens, and I should be way past this by now. Nope, soon, it will be college activities, and then marriage, then grandkids... ahhh. Your life is never your own once you have kids, but it's worth it... at times.

Anyway...

I posted a video and recipe yesterday, before I headed out. The video showed what happens as your food digests processed foods as compared to non-processed foods, and my recipe was just an example of one thing you can do with eggs for something a little different.  Eggs are very healthy when cooked right.

While I am a big fan of eating fresh, and organic, I know that people who lead busy lives don't have the time, or even money, to make their own pastas, grow their own gardens, etc, etc, and sometimes we have to eat processed foods.

What you can do when you have a choice, is this:

Buy fresh or frozen fruits and veggies, fish, and chicken.

*Red meat has nutrients in it that our bodies need, but too much red meat is not a good thing. It takes our bodies up to six weeks to process red meat... not exactly good for your intestines.

For your pastas, quinoa is an excellent substitute for rice and you can add all kinds of things to it, like dried cranberries, nuts, butternut squash... and the list goes on. You can also buy whole wheat, or vegetable pastas... this way you're still getting nutrients. They have fiber enhanced pastas too!! For me, too much fiber is a bad thing, but this may not be the case for you.

Salt is something to really watch. The reason I buy organic packaged foods, rather than their non-organic counterparts, is because the sodium content in these is considerably lower. Sodium (the iodide is important) is another thing our bodies need, but again, too much can be a bad thing.

I also have a book I highly recommend:

Eat This Not That by David Zinczenko

This is a great book because it offers so many different ways to eat, what to eat while you're on the go, meals you can cook at home (although, some are quite time consuming), and a number of ways to combine different foods in order to naturally boost your metabolism, and get the vitamin punch you need without taking pills. I love this book because it's the "real" person's book. Meaning, the suggestions in it, are easy for any of us. He includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts, and snacks for eating out and eating at home.

Tomorrow I'll post a number of essential foods you really should have in your home... the ones that pack a punch, and taste good too!

For now, I need to wrap this up. Lots to do yet again tomorrow!

Have a great Friday night!!










No comments:

Post a Comment